25 August, 2008

The Olympics Are Over: I'm Depressed

This complaint is somewhat related to advertising, but moreso to television. Anyway, the close of the Olympics has me depressed because:

1) The Olympics are fun. I've played at least three sports a years since I was nine, so I could watch almost any sport--withstanding anything labeled "synchronized _____" and "ice dancing." (It's not that I hate figure skating. It's just that after 214 hours of triple axles and triple lutzes, the last thing I want to see is a guy in skin tight lycra prancing around on his toe pick for another three.)

2) They only come every two years (winter Olympics in Vancouver, February 2010 baby)!

3) For the past two week I knew I'd have something to watch when I turned on the TV. Swimming, gymnastics, soccer, diving, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach vollyeball, water polo, team handball, track & field. (Although somehow I missed the entire decathalon and heptathalon, but I guess that's what they get for using the metric system. Does anyone get that?)

4) But what depressed me most were NBC's commercials for what will be airing this fall to replace the programming I've been enjoying for the past two weeks, because they only showed those commercials about a thousand times: America's Toughest Jobs, Crusoe, Knight Rider, Chuck, Lipstick Jungle, Heroes, My Own Worst Enemy, Celebrity Apprentice, Deal or New Deal, The Biggest Loser and worst of all:




Sunday, Bob Costas should've signed off with, "Hoped you like the Olympics, America, now you can go back to watching crap."

Unfortunately, NBC can't air Earl, The Office, 30 Rock and Life 24 hours a day. The real biggest losers--people without cable. At least we get football in two weeks, excluding NBC of course, who has the worst NFL coverage of any network, including the crack technical team at we'll get you that crucial replay in two minutes-CBS. Remember "Must See TV?" I don't either.

--Captain Awesome, Copywriter

The Olympics Are Over: I'm DepressedSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
blog comments powered by Disqus
The Renegade Agency Confessional - Blogged

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP