29 June, 2007

M.M. McDermott, Creative Director




Let’s get one thing straight here. Just because Matt McDermott was born and raised in Baltimore does not mean he eats steamed crabs and drinks National Bohemian beer all day long.

Ok. Yes it does. Matt McDermott is a stereotype of all things Baltimore and would find few greater joys in life than the Orioles one day playing .500 baseball. A published author, ex-Baltimore City Public School teacher, former owner of a prolific dog walking business, American Advertising Federation Baltimore board member, blogger for the Baltimore Sun and senior copy stud for Renegade, he’s worn many hats—and never washed any of them.

Send comments, diatribes, and miscellaneous bitchings and moanings here.

You'll usually find him milling about in these places:























M.M. McDermott, Creative DirectorSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

4 others 'fessed up:

RFB April 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

Do you know the Brewer's Art on N. Charles St? It was started by a guy I went to HS with in Germany. Haven't yet been - but really need to go.

Anonymous,  June 19, 2008 at 2:33 AM  

Hey Matt:

This is Ross I interned there at Renegade a little under a year ago in the fall and tail end of summer. I read one of your blog postings about how recent grads are babied and don't want to get dirty. And I must say, bravo.

The one thing that I can think of is that when people get out of colleges such as Towson or UMBC they want to dive headfirst and show their a go getter. And they feel they can't show that if they're making copies or what not. But like you said, get dirty, it builds character and climbing the ladder is a satiating feeling.

I hope I was a good intern for you guys and I enjoyed being there.

I commented you here cause I do not have your email, seems a bit long for a comment.

Take care and once again, good blog post.

Ross Tokosch

Anonymous,  June 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

I found you here through your comment on the Baltimore InsideEd blog, and I have since deduced you to be the insightful English teacher I saw in HBO's most recent documentary. I am a high school student who is fortunate enough to attend one of Baltimore's magnet high schools, yet the documentary seemed very real to me too. Although my school has a significantly larger number of motivated students than Douglass, we also struggle with several of the same problems as Douglass: inadequate supplies (books, chalk, paper), NCLB state-mandated tests that waste class time and misdirect the real curriculum, and in some cases, inadequate parental involvement. I have seen teachers crumble because of these and many other adversities, yet I empathize immensely with all of those who try regardless. I do not blame you at all for leaving; I was a bit shocked to discover your move occurred in the middle of the year, but I do not judge you regardless. From what HBO showed, you were a patient and caring teacher pushed far beyond any reasonable limits, and I fault the school and especially the system for not supporting you sufficiently. The documentary captured many of the bigger problems here, but I fear it will be too long for them to be solved.

Thank you for what you did to try and help, or as you said, "make a difference in someone's life". The teaching profession in Baltimore City, especially at the high school level, may be one of the most difficult careers I can name.

Anonymous,  June 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

Anon.
Thanks for your very poignant comments. You already have a better understanding of the state of public education than most of those flaunting PhDs and institute grants who purport to have all the answers. Leaving, especially in the middle of the year, was an extremely difficult decision--it's one I can't say that I've fully forgiven myself for. But I'm trying. Many of my old students have reached out to me recently to reconnect and to share their successes; that helps.

The system's broken. That's undeniable. But folks like you give me hope that things can change--and that the change can come from the inside out.

Good to hear from you, and I invite you to chime in whenever--even if this is technically an advertising blog. I'm not picky.

The Renegade Agency Confessional - Blogged

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP